Even though you’ve essentially filled your Caldera Spas hot tub with clean drinking water, you’ll need to do some initial water balancing to provide a foundation for its use.
These five steps should be performed in the correct sequence.
1. Check the water’s Total Alkalinity and adjust it to 40-120 ppm.
Why? The correct total alkalinity will stabilize your pH, making it easier for you to maintain it at a proper level.
2. Check Calcium Hardness and adjust levels to 50-150 ppm.
Why? Too little calcium will damage hot tub components over time. Too much, and scaling will occur.
3. Test the pH and adjust to a level between 7.2 and 7.6.
Why? This level is only slightly alkaline. It prevents acid wear on components and is low enough in alkalinity to prevent scaling.
4. Superchlorinate the spa. Add 1.5 teaspoons of Monarch® chlorine (sodium dichlor) per 250 gallons, then activate the Clean cycle. Leave the cover off of the spa for at least 20 minutes.
Why? This initial dosing will disinfect the water, including any inside the internal components remaining from manufacturer’s quality checks. Keeping the cover off will allow the chemical to dissipate into the air.
5. Install FROG® bromine and mineral cartridges. Dial the mineral cartridge to setting 6 and snap into the top space of the cartridge holder. Dial the bromine cartridge to a setting of 2 for spas between 250 and 400 gallons or a setting of 3 for a spa between 400-500 gallons. Then snap the cartridge into the bottom space of the cartridge holder.
Why? The bromine and mineral cartridges will ensure that your water remains balanced and sanitized.
Note: All Caldera Spas are qruipped to receive the FROG system. Those with the Monarch water care system will have a different actions to replace step #5.
The spa is ready for use when the spa water has circulated and the bromine level remains between 1 ppm and 2 ppm.
These tips provide a quick and easy reminder of the steps necessary—in order—after filling your spa. They are not a comprehensive list of everything required to maintain your spa and treat water. Make sure you follow the detailed step-by-step instructions in the owner’s manual for the Caldera Spas model you’ve purchased.
o Every three months
o Every four months
o Every six months
o Once a year
o Rinse off
o Let the chemicals do their job
o Past week
o Past month
o Past year